Friday, May 20, 2011

Forget linebackers....maybe sumo wrestlers??

I had my regular visit with the Perinatologist yesterday and he saw just what I was hoping for...2 growing, healthy babies! 
However, he did preface the sonogram with this statement:  "Well, I will tell you that your boys definitely won't be the smallest ones in the nursery!!"  Wow.  Last month they were both around 1 lb 4 ozs.  In a month, they've each grown one whole pound (plus a little)!  Of course they've always measured big - even at our first sono at 7 weeks they were a few days ahead.  In most cases, this would be a case of miscalculation of the due date but since we know the exact date I became pregnant thanks to my IVF, they are just plain big boys! 

The doctor said that at this stage, most twins should measure right under two pounds and at the 30th percentile of a single baby.  Not my overachievers!  They are at the 60% percentile - one at 2 lb 5 ozs and the other at 2 lb 7 ozs.  I asked if this meant I ran the risk of going into labor early and he said "No, you'll just be way more uncomfortable."  Sweet.  Actually, it is sweet - my goal is to have big healthy babies, no matter how miserable I get towards the end.  I know the smaller their birth weight, the more time they will more likely spend in the NICU and of course I want to avoid that if at all possible.

Maybe this will get me out of work a little earlier than expected - and getting paid to sit at home on my big behind sounds pretty dang good right now to tell you the truth!  Especially now that the temperature outside is heating up...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment....they give me something to read at work!