Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The oven is pre-heated....let's make that bun!

Wow, this has been one long month for me! After we saw our Reproductive Endocrinologist (say that 3 times fast) last month, it's just been a waiting game for everything to fall into place so we could schedule our IUI.


Well today I finally got my first sonogram and the doctor had good news. After a round of Clomid, he saw a total of 3 follicles, one on my left ovary and two on my right. They were good size and also my uterine lining was the perfect thickness. So everything is a "go" on my side for the procedure!


However, my LH, or luteinizing hormone level was tested today and was negative. (This hormone causes the egg to be released from the follicle). All the negative result meant was that I wasn't quite ready to ovulate. Two of the follicles were a little small so in the next couple of days, they will grow to the ideal size. So I go back in tomorrow to see if the LH level is up. If so, I will get an injection of Ovidrel (an HcG hormone to stimulate the release of an egg). I will go in for the IUI a couple of days after getting the injection - so Friday or Saturday of this week.


I'm a little nervous about the procedure itself, although I've read that it's very quick and virtually painless. What I AM nervous about is that it won't work on the first try. On the first attempt, there is only a 15% chance of it working, but I keep trying to tell myself that 15% is better than 10%.....and it's definitely a better chance than we had with just trying on our own, which was pretty much 0-1%!
After the procedure, I'll have the dreaded two-week wait before I will go in for a pregnancy test. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do a home test any earlier since traces of hormones in my body from the injection could result in a false positive. But luckily by the end of August, we'll know for sure whether or not we're finally expecting baby #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment....they give me something to read at work!