Monday, August 30, 2010

A little compromise never hurt anyone

We met with our fertility specialist this morning and had a very encouraging visit! First of all, I should say that without a doubt, I feel like I'm in the most competent hands in this part of Texas if not this part of the country. I absolutely love this doctor and can easily see why so many couples come from out of state to see him. He is the perfect mix of conservative-ness (I know that's not a real word) in this approach and aggresiveness in his treatment.

What I mean is, he won't jump right into IVF without exploring every possible avenue first. However, he is willing to do what it takes to get that baby....In other words, he won't offer you IVF when you walk through the door. And he will surely never implant more than 2 embryos at a time. Sorry, but looks like the world will never see Brandon and Jen + 10 on TLC. :)

After our first IUI attempt was a bust, I was hell-bent on jumping right on the in-vitro train. My thought was "why bother with another IUI that will give us no more than a 15% chance of conceiving?" However, he explained to me that there was a "middle ground" option that we should consider and in fact, he encouraged. He suggested that we undergo one or two more rounds of IUI, but this time he will add in another medicine in addition to Clomid. It will be 5 or 6 injections and this will cause me to produce about twice as many eggs as I did (hopefully at least 4-5) which will put our chances of success at around 30%. Twice as high as with the first IUI. I'll take it.
 
Of course, IVF comes with about a 60% success rate, but since this is a much easier and way less invasive process that I'm willing to try it at least once. After all, if I am looking at IVF, I guess I should get in the habit of giving myself these shots, and this will be a great test of how I react to them (different hormone than I had last month).

However, because of timing being a little off, I will have to wait until the end of September to start my medication and it will be the middle of October before we do the IUI. But after waiting nearly 4 years for a baby, I guess I can wait another few months...the odds FINALLY seem to be moving in our favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment....they give me something to read at work!