Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tests and needles and doctors, oh my!

Oh, the joys of infertility! Since McKenna was an "oops" (although the best 'oops' ever I might add), I just assumed that the second I went off birth control after she was born, I would pop up preggers in no time. Well "no time" has stretched into a long 3 1/2 years with no luck.

Last week, we visited a new fertility specialist in Plano. He has one of the highest success rates in the country and people come from out of state to see him. Luckily we got in to see him fairly quickly and I was very impressed. He is a no-sugar-coating, tell-it-like-it-is kind of doctor. So needless to say, we are a perfect match. :)

We had pretty much given up hope of ever having another baby, but when I got hired by Chase, I found out that they cover up to $20,000 of fertility treatment. Since that's really unheard of, I figured we had better take full advantage!

Sooo.....in another couple of weeks, we will be undergoing an IUI (inter-uterine insemination) procedure. The cost is very inexpensive as far as fertility procedures go, so we will give it 3-4 tries before discussing other options. I'm still not 100% sold on doing IVF, so this will be a good indicator of how I will do emotionally with the procedures (mainly the injections and waiting periods). From what the doctor said, and what I've researched, IUI is very simple and painless.

I will go back on Clomid medication for a few days, then get a "trigger" shot to force an egg release, then exactly 39 hours, I will go in for the ol' turkey baster treatment! I'm not really worried about any of it except for the dreaded two-week wait. I'm not good with waiting, or suprises....so I think that will be the worst part for me. However, we've already made peace with having an only child so hopefully I can just relax and hope for the best!

How weird is it to think that after years of trying, I could possibly be pregnant in just a couple weeks?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment....they give me something to read at work!